[D-G] Varela/Stengers : enaction /environment

.Sylvia_Jenepi. sylvia_jenepi at brokenvessels.xyz
Sat May 29 10:12:10 PDT 2021

Hi!

the concept of repetition in your example from D&R Deleuze, is not
offering my understanding a proper way to conceive the relation or
comparison between the first water lily, and « all the others ».

i know that Guattari in interview explained how Deleuze idea on D&R was
the treasury hoard out of which he (and deleuze?) hunted to produce the
concepts /creations of ATP.

but Guattari was if we consider evidence, mistaken on ATP: the «
universality of the singular » is not a concept, nature as spinoza
understood it in Ethics books, nature thinks. if teleology : asigning a
goal to nature thoughts, like did Aristotle, was coveted, it is because
the human thinker and his alliance with his society, wanted to be «
it became interesting to get « universal ideas ». repetition is a « fast
» word, but its not a concept that nature uses, except in humans. when
human uses the word, the reality of the singular, precisely, escapes
from  the comprehension offered by the fast word « universality of the
singular » so much that it is not much less fuzzy and non-describtive
informed. yes. but not encompassing of the thoughts « immanent » to the
different stratas of nature. because there are different stratas: time
matters with such strata, where exists an entity. but the same entity
exists on a different strata simultaneously, and in this strata, the
entity is affected/active with different entities than she is
affected/active on the strata where there is a matter of time. but with
what happens on the « time » mattered strata, the entity as it is
active/affected in the « etheric », to call it that way, strata, can be
indifferent to it, when simultaneously the entity as it is alive in the
« time mattered » strata, will be hurt or pleased. it seems that the
time mattered strata level contains for the entity, more events, thus
more possibilities, but that considered at the same entity, the etheral
strata is more important for absolute reality of the entity across a
multiplicity of strata.

so if a lily compares itself to the next generation of lily offspring of
the first lily, why to use the word « repetition » instead of « lily as
a specie » ? it is different, but not offering much hope of considering
the singularity as it is existing in different stratas, and in an
absolute reality as a singular lily.

i think this is why Deleuze gave up the use of « repetition » as a
concept, and prefered to consider stratas and crossing the multiplicity
of strata, while considering the differences of population on each
strata, population experienced by the absolute and singular entity,
populations engaging the thinking productivity of each of the entities,
whose thoughts were « activated » by the study of ATP.