[D-G] Varela/Stengers : enaction /environment

.Sylvia_Jenepi. sylvia_jenepi at brokenvessels.xyz
Thu May 27 02:30:15 PDT 2021

Hi Mike,

exact quote reconstituted by my superpowers:

  »Expérience de pensée:en quoi serait différente de la notre une société
l'est désormais pour nous le mouvement de la Terre? »

-> « Thought experiment: in what way would be different from our
society, a society where « enaction » (?) would have succeeded in

->deepl more correct in reproducing man made translation than google

enaction for Varela: cognition in relation to environment, different to
Descartes where thought is « only » substantive « je suis une chose
pensante »

stengers thought experiment objective is reminding us science is an
enaction, earth movement as studied by Gallileo (reproducible today) is
an enaction: science is no antropological construct or artefact: it has
a condition : some thing resist: an event(s) in universe, which
scientists in action call « truth » it resists to man thinking (/acting
on) the systems of phenomena.

environments: different can be: mankinds eco-system and singularities
eco-system(s) two different environments. mankind=transcendental being »
falsifying adequate functioning of thinking in the singularitie(s) ie
thinkers of science. if science thoughts experiments are/ is founded on
a transcendental being then it can have more diffuse/molar power than a
power drifting from the « event-truth »: that which resists
man/organisms thinking.

a power which leads the audience led astray:  influenced by it in
certain direction away from the truth (adequate potentially to the
singularities as in spinoza's natura-substance-god) ( the original
useful objective of science though!!), it becomes a « truth » that is
autonomous and away from these « events/truths » in the universe which
philosophers of science posit as condition for « objective science »
though..

for instance, singularities (light science thinking or living organisms)
these days get  more alerted by a « mini-ice-age » estimated lasting ten
or fifteen years, than by carbon-dioxide warming climate of « mankind
environment » a concept closer to dark science.

regards,

Sylvia

On 27.05.2021 02:20, Mike Lansing wrote:

> Yes, Bains quotes Stengers: Deepl says: Thought experiment: How would a
> society where 'action' has managed to become as 'real' as the movement
> of the Earth is now for us be different from ours?'
>
> Google says: 'Thought experiement: How would we be different from a
> society where 'action' has succeeded in becoming as 'true' as the
> movement of the Earth is now for us?'
>
> French text, 31 Jan 1997: Experience de pensee: en quoi serait
> different la notre societe ou 'l'enaction' aurait reussi a devenir
> aussi 'vrai' que l'est desormais pour nous le movement de la Terre?'
>
> On Wed, 26 May, 2021 at 6:14 PM, .Sylvia_Jenepi.
> <sylvia_jenepi at brokenvessels.xyz> wrote:
>
> To: mike lansing
>
> Hi, could you reproduce here the stengers text you talk about and your
> impression about it?
>
> (orbital flat surface is down tonight because i am upgrading from PHP
> 7.1 to PHP 7.4 and the PhpBB forum needs an update i try to restablish
> asap)
>
> byebye

> On 25.05.2021 [1] 23:44, Mike Lansing wrote:
>
>> I will try "deepl" for Stivale's quote of Stengers from the D&G
>> archive, 31 Jan 1997, to see how it goes.

Links:
------
[1] http://25.05.2021