[D-G] billet d'humeur on Brexit

Mike Lansing badger2 at mail2world.com
Thu Mar 14 07:21:19 PDT 2019

'Perhaps the best way to encapsulate an epoch is to focus not on the
explicit features that define its social and ideological efices but on
the disavowed ghosts that haunt it, dwelling in a mysterious region of
nonexistent entities which none the less (persist [italics]), continue
to exert their efficacy.
Here, however, we encounter the first paradox of the Balkans: it seems
as if the Balkans themselves had, in the eyes of Europe, the peculiar
status of a ghost that haunts -- are not the post-Yugoslav Balkans,
this vortex of (self)destructive ethnic passions, the exact opposite,
almost a kind of photographic negative, of the tolerant coexistence of
ethnic communities, a kind of multiculturalist dream turned into a
nightmare? Does not the very indeterminate and shifting geographic
delimitation of the Balkans indicate their spectral status? Where do
the Balkans begin? -- the Balkans are always somewhere else, a little
bit more to the southeast....many arrogant Frenchmen associate Germany
itself with an Eastern Balkan brutality entirely foreign to French
finesse, and this brings us to the last link in this chain: to some
conservative British opponents of the European Union, for whom --
implicitly, at least -- the whole of continental Europe functions today
as a new version of the Balkans Turkish Empire, with Brussels as the
new Istanbul, a voracious despotic centre which threatens British
freedom and sovereignty....Is not this identification of continental
Europe itself with the Balkans, its barbarian Other, the secret truth
of the entire movement of the displaced delimitation between the two?

This enigmatic multiple displacement of the frontier clearly
demonstrates that in the case of the Balkans we are dealing not with
real geography but with an imaginary cartography which projects on the
real landscape its own shadowy, often disavowed, ideological
antagonisms, just as Freud claimed that the localization of the
hysteric's conversion symptoms project on to the physical body the (map
[it.]) of another, imaginary anatomy....the point to be made is that
precisely in so far as the Balkans' function as such a spectral entity,
reference to them enables us to discern, in a kind of spectral
analysis, the different modes of today's racism. First, there is the
old-fashioned unabashed rejection of the (despotic, barbarian,
orthodox, Muslim, corrupt, Oriental....) Balkan Other on behalf of
authentic (Western, civilized, democratic, christian....) values. Then
there is reflexive Politically Correct racism: the multiculturalist
perception of the Balkans as the terrain of ethnic horrors and
intolerance, of primitive irrational warring passions....The example of
Kusturica's films enables us to identify another feature of the Western
perception of the Balkans: the logic of displaced racism....when in an
interview about his film Underground, Kusturica dismissed the Slovenes
as a nation of Austrian grooms, nobody even reacted to the open racism
of this statement -- it was OK, since an 'authentic' exotic artist from
the less developed part of ex-Yugoslavia was attacking the most
developed part of it....(The Balkans constitute a place of exception
with regard to which the tolerant multiculturalist is allowed to act
out his-her repressed racism[it.]).

Therein lies the main ideological lesson of 'the Balkans' : when
theorists like Anthony Giddens or Ulrich Beck define contemporary
society as a 'risk society', the reference to 'the Balkans' allows us
to supplement their analysis by pointing out how, today, (racism itself
is becoming reflexive [it.]).'
(Zizek, The Fragile Absolute -- or why is the christian legacy worth
fighting for? pp. 3-6))

'Translators, such barbarians!'
(D&G list, circa 1990s)