[D-G] Life altering

Drake Gossi drake.gossi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:56:02 PDT 2018

Let me preface this remark by just saying that I have been silent on this
list for a while now (though I joined, say, four months ago?), but it has
mostly because I joined the list because I wanted to not only discuss D &
G, but to also learn more about them. So, I'm excited to reply to Daniel
because of how he has invited others into a conversation wherein we can
reaffirm our love for these two figures, while at the same time pushing the
bounds of our knowledge about them a bit. So, I solicit more conversations
like this one. Can we just talk about D & G and learn from each other about
them?

So, Daniel, I struggle with Deleuze, and right now I'm struggling with his
thoughts on subjectivity, so I'm thinking of the three syntheses--I
believe--in *Difference and Repetition*. To me, the subject for Deleuze is
a kind of after-feeling or feeling of having been affected and
simultaneously affecting others. These affects sediment into something
that's not asocial or private--certainly not--but an idiosyncratic and
networked form of subjectivity, one made of solely of  all of my past
repurposings of the world. And I take this to mean what you were saying
earlier, that is, when you said that there's this complexity that emerges
from rules and games but that isn't available in or doesn't get absorbed
back into those rules and games. The subject accumulates, but is not
appropriated and is not in fact appropriable (is useless or
*désœuvrement--*though
I'm sure Zizek and Badiou argue differently). I've heard this called a
membrane elsewhere, the subject as a membrane--or a kind of liminal space...

Any thoughts on this? Do you know how this relates to the three syntheses?
I remember this link from Shaviro <http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=648>
being helpful... This is another one by Levi Bryant
<https://larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/deleuze-on-simondon-and-individuation/>that
might be helpful too; it's on individuation. Or, perhaps easier question:
Do you know how these ideas you're discussing relate back to a specific D &
G text?

Here's another topic for discussion, one that bugs me frequently: how is
Deleuze's version of difference different than Lyotard's?

Drake