[D-G] Concepts seen as functions

malgosia askanas ma at panix.com
Fri Apr 29 17:06:25 PDT 2011

Dear Hervé,

Could you tell a little more about the concept-building involved in
the modeling and simulation of natural phenomena?  I would love that.

But jumping the gun for the moment, do you think that this
concept-building differs substantially from, say, that involved in
trying to understand the functioning of the DNA, the structure of
molecules, or the thermodynamic behavior of various systems?  I am
asking because these are undoubtedly scientific pursuits that D&G
were well aware of, and which they explicitly mention in WiP.  And
even a mere mention of these pursuits brings to mind a whole flock of
properly scientific creations that one cannot resist calling
_concepts_: the concept of DNA, of a protein, of the electron, of a
system, of energy, of heat, of entropy, and so on.  Yet D&G claim
that science does not produce concepts.  Would they think differently
if they had been exposed to climate simulation or the modeling of
coastal behaviour?

Perhaps one could play with the notion of "actualization", to see
whether it holds up as an element of the difference between science
and philosophy.  The purpose of, say, climate simulation is to
actualize (albeit in a computer model) a particular cluster of
phenomena that form what is called "climate".  On the other hand, it
would not be regarded as a properly scientific project to want to
study, for example, the phenomenon of "stratification" as it
manifests in geology, social life, language and thought.  And indeed,
how would one conduct such a study, if it were to be scientific?
What would it purpose to "actualize"?

Is that a possibly productive way to think about the difference?

-m