[D-G] Concepts seen as functions

saphiregnauld saphi.regnauld at numericable.fr
Fri Apr 29 08:54:34 PDT 2011

Dear Malgosia

 thanks a lot for this post

 I think you have perfectly understood what D+G mean : according to them
science has to slow down the infinite speed of ideas (when ideas are
building a concept) in order to make them fit with the sampling rate,
the protocol or what so ever is scientific and slow.

 The problem is that  what D+G are talking of is not "science" as a
whole but just one precise aspect of science which is , for natural
sciences field work and for the psy sciences the discussion with the
patient...

 D+G are in the middle of a mistake : what they have in mind when they
talk about science is just and only a small part of the scientific
domain, and specially the one G knows. They just ignore an other domain
of science  which is building ideas out of hundred of field work data.
And they also ignore the building of  numerical models such as the  ones
we use for climate simulation or sea level changes..or coasts set back
under erosion and sea level rise.. Building a conceptual model of
coastal behaviour is building a concept, not a set of functifs glued
together.  And I really mean concept in a fully deleuzian way.

 Ther's nothing wrong with D+G ignoring these aspects of science. They
(the models) were simply not existing at the moment they (D+G) wrote WIP.

 I just want to stress a simple fact : D+G are great  and even deserve
much more praise then they get for their philosophy of "multiplicités"
"empirisme" and "immanence" but they can't be relied upon for their
epistemic work. They know philosophy but not science and not science as
it is done today.

This leaves us with the main question of WIP? that is : what's the
difference between philo and science ?.  G wanted to make a radical
difference because he had a political aim : to forbid neuro science to
invade the schizo analysis field.

The political aim is clear and (I think) totally right. But the argument
D+G used to separate philo from science is wrong because philo  creates
concepts and science creates concepts also.. then the difference between
the two  must be elswhere.

And today we have in front of us this large field wide open : how do
psycho or schizo analysis may co-exist with neuro sciences (cognitivism)
without being overwhelmed... ??? How can we resist to the buldozing of
knowledge by hard science?? How can we save the existence (and the
university fundings) for human science, soft science, social science and
even art????

 Our political aim is not to associate philo with concepts and science
with a lower order of rationality.. our present problem is to explain
that hard science is not able to understand everything about a human
being mind, thoughs, behaviour, dreams, loves ..

 WIP was a political statement designed to express the need for funding
something else than pure physics or pure neurology. . I think we shall
not achieve this aim if we try to downscale science and upraise  philo,
but if we try to convince hard scientists that they need philosophy.

About the ability of Deleuze to understand maths (which was not so low)
there is an excellent little book by J.C Dumoncel ( isbn 978 2 915725 08
7) If you read french I made a short review of it on
http://www.espacestemps.net/document7939.html

 amicalement  RV