[D-G] Concepts seen as functions

Cain, Prof. Jeffrey P. CainJ at sacredheart.edu
Thu Apr 28 17:42:55 PDT 2011

Dear Malgosia--

Thank you so much for taking the time to meticulously and clearly answer my rather ill-formed questions.  Your explanation makes perfect sense to me, especially the very telling balances you draw between intensive and extensive, actual and virtual, limited and unlimited speeds. I see now that the terms I thought were fairly exclusively mathematical can be thought of in other contexts (again perhaps an artifact of my inexperience in scientific and mathematical discourse). I am familiar with the scientific / thermodynamic meaning of "intensive," and it seems to me that what you say adheres quite definitely to my understanding of it.

I am, ultimately, grateful for having learned so much in a brief space of time.  And no worries, you haven't discouraged me from trying to learn calculus.  I'll definitely continue with it--it seems to me that D&G had a profound understanding of mathematics, and that there is a certain baseline knowledge of the subject one ought to try to attain in order to read them with some degree of precision. I've been keeping it quiet around the English department though--my colleagues might consider that I'd taken leave of my senses if they knew what I was doing :-)

Thanks again,

Jeff
Jeffrey P. Cain, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of English HC221A
Sacred Heart University
Fairfield, Connecticut 06825
203.371.7810

Office Hours Spring 2011: Mondays 12:00-2:00; Wednesdays 12:00-2:00; Fridays 11:30-12:15