[D-G] beyond psychiatry

maria-belen ordonez mbelen at yorku.ca
Sun Feb 5 13:14:19 PST 2006

I think the best way to do psychiatry is to take a position of anti-psychiatry.
Similarly, the best way to be ethical is to be against ethics. Not that I am
situated in a place that can suggest whether such a position "works", however,
there is enough experiential evidence to suggest that any determined discipline
or area of knowledge, is always already from its conception, bound to fail.
Think of professions of social status: Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers--the majority
are doing the necessary work to maintain both a psycho-oppression and a
corporeal one. Anti-Oedipus is a good start, a push not only to re-invent--but
to INVENT at all costs. Deleuze and Guattari (read through Negri and Hardt)
suggest that if you "don't fit", you should, rather than bemoaning the
intensity of conflict, REALIZE YOUR GIFT. It is the gift of living, loving and
working against Oedipus.

mb