[D-G] maths.

Liza Kozner liza_kozner at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 05:33:26 PST 2005

Hi Harald,

  That's cool of you. I am fine you know. My deliriums are real, but i don't have to suffer, so I don't have to "think" they are false. I don't need to put them into question. I know and see it's the choice between accepting the capitalist infantilisation, the propaganda and their benefactors will to power. And delirium is a possibility for something else, a kind of first step towards a healthy life. Because people need to rely on principles corrected constantly by the propagand of the real which is signifiant today, they would think, ho, at contrary, I cannot, for myself, submit to delirium. Well you are born an idiot you remain one all of your life, that's what Miller said.

  Nevertheless I must admit math study is capable to play a good influence on us here, especially what I liked was Lewis Carol logic. But even logic, such as Godel Theorem explained by Newman, the famous little book, it offers a view of history of the theory of consistency in maths, and I still have to carry on the reading, so because I know of Deleuze ideas on words of orders, for example, I could make a rhizome there between maths and politics of arrangements in matter, which made the book even more interesting.

  Do you know a book which is easy learning, in american english, which accepts both classical, euclidian maths, and recent, 20th century maths, as rhiemann, carol, or gödel? I think maths is not less or more exact than working with percepts, affects, audiovisual, poetry, the two group do not necessarily oppose, and the connection, since we read Deleuze here, could be an adventure. I don't think it has been done yet.

  If you see ATP there a page on tensors in chapter on signs, talking about the abstract machine, doesn't know anumore the strat, the distinction between expression and content, but only tensors, when a sign and a particle, we don't know anymore how to defferentiate one from the other.

  Also if you want to talk on your impression in Spinoza Critic and Clinic, last chapter talks about mathematics in relation to book V of Ethics, essences. Desargues, the short cuts used by some type of mathematicians as Desargues, or Gallois, was interesting. Do you know a book which would enable me to read such mathematical prose? It doesn't have to be contemporary, but preferrably it would be not too scholar, something which preserves ludism, like Carol essay on Logic w<hy I mentioned it.

  Regds
  Liz

hwenk <hwenk at web.de> wrote:
  Hello Liza,
after my appraisal of yoga as exercises in regard to perfect the body, I
come to advise sober and thorough thinking as such as healthy for the mind
- especially for psychic sensible people. Most of them have a strong
inclination to a very poetic way of feeling and thinking.
This is combined or also expressed in a very high sensibility in regard of
personal or social conflicts.
Now strong thinking in form of long and complicated reasoning, as done on
mathematics, gives inner stability and opens the way
of a self guided subjectivation - not always torn and pushed by stimulus
from outwards.

As Deleuze had put it:
"It is not the lack of intelligence, but our interests, that divides us from
truth".
In thinking, mathematics is invaluable, for it has all of the mentioned
qualities: objective,
thorough, fine and leaving no rest of unexplained - in this sense almost the
only example of
complete thinking - giving answers to the question of the child: "Why"?
I think, this is why Spinoza and science in general took it as a model and
in case of Spinoza, being
very consequent, it is a kind of answering the Why as far as possible at
that time.

Fortunately the American culture of books on mathematics is much more easier
to comprehend than here in Europe - I think it is
because the students pay in America, what is mostly not the case in Europe.
Therefore
the books, coming from lectures, are much more written under the regard of
being understandable.

You have Milnor, Spivak, Lang, Feller, Stoker and a lot of other
well authors.

Greetings Harald Wenk