[D-G] the "virtual"

sid littlefield falsedeity at lycos.com
Thu Jun 9 07:52:01 PDT 2005

yes it seems that the virtual is a force/power, as its etymology attests to, but it  also important to remember that although Deleuze affirms its reality (against Kant/Aristotle, the tradition) he also returns to the fact that the virtual is not, does not, resemble the actual. And so a gulf remands, but it is this gulf that allows Deleuze to posit a theory of the new without making the two mistakes of philosophy, namely that the new is creation ex nihilio (theological) or the combination of the parts of history. A novel theory about novelty. It is Deleuze that says that every work of art has something ahistorical about it.