[D-G] What is the difference between a schizo and a bad poet?

Chapman chapman0603 at rogers.com
Thu Feb 17 13:37:19 PST 2005

I guess I see metaphor as stemming from the real, those 'other alphabets'.
It has to have at least one material face and as such is never merely a
structural effect or an ordinal encounter. This is not a threat but, to
criss cross a bit of Paul deMan's language, a rhetorization of reality. We
acknowledge that while structure is corruptable, form is real and
transcendent.

This 'rhetorization of reality' is akin to what Benjamin, speaking about
what Novalis called 'perceptibility', (who was Novalis?), wrote in his 17th
footnote to the essay, 'On Some Motifs in Baudelaire':

"17 -This endowment [perceptibility] is a wellspring of poetry. Wherever a
human being, an animal, or an inanimate object thus endowed by the poet
lifts up its eyes, it draws him into the distance. The gaze of nature thus
awakened dreams and pulls the poet after its dream. Words, too, can have an
aura of their own. This is how Karl Kraus described it: "The closer the look
one takes at a word, the greater the distance from which it looks back."
"(Illuminations 200)

C;

(who was Karl Kraus?)