[D-G] William James brother of Henry James: on pragmatism & Andrew Culp's -a Dark Deleuze-

Dewey Dell dewey.dell5 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 03:08:55 PDT 2018

Hello my dear Deleuzo-Guattarians.!!.
I have finished my reading of "Pragmatisme" by William James (1907) 8
conferences.

It seems there is a new edition going alongside new continental curiousity
for Pragmatism in Europe.

It has helped me (the chapter on Monism versus Multiplicities) to imagine
the Origin of our Universe (Spinoza's Substance)
was Neutral yet with depth of variation of intensities. I have yet to read
Categories by Aristoteles to refine this appreciation
(a young Syrian arriving from Damascus as a refugee who is an expert in
Syria about Spinoza and Aristoteles has told me
I could not understand Spinoza if I did not understand Aristoteles.)

I nevertheless appreciate how W.James criticizes the rationalist approach
about determinism and necessity
as we find those in Spinoza.

A friend of mine who is an expert in Isaac de Luria and Moshe de Leon,
tells me Bergson was a early W.James reader.

I understand better Deleuze claim in CC about "Confidence", as it comes
explained as its root in Pragmatism, lesson 3:

<<If the governing Force in the World is clearseeing and not blind, we can
reasonably expect better results from it.>>

I aswell want to say something, recently on Dank Facebook Andrew Culp has
said that deLanda is Concrete, whereas Deleuze was Abstract

which seems Abstract to say. Are there people reading Nick Land's
litterature? Here? Not "Fanged Noumena" which is about Kant
but his litterature proper? Andrew Culp has written a book criticising the
"pragmatism" of Deleuze, his positivity, like the
plane of composition doubling the plane of immanence. Andrew Culp over this
prefers the exposal of Cruelty, and see a positivity in
Negative Thinking and Negative Affects. Something stopping the World, which
he considers as an Illusion

Something negative enough is looked for, to stop you from writing.

May be a way for Culp to block Deleuze is to first block deLanda, setting
them both in this dyad "Abstract-Concrete",
even though such a dyad is highly Abstract innit it self!

I find the William James prospection of the kernel or core of reality
(Deleuze 's Outside) before
it becomes a sensation. Many possibilities for Concrete Plane of
Composition!! James see a becoming human
a bit like Cézanne, instead than a becoming
woman-animal-molecular-imperceptible. The biology, the arythmetics,
the astrological have all this mankind's watermark stamped on it, as
anterior thoughts. We could not think without
pre-impression??

Is there anyway other subscribers recommanding James or Dewey here? Or any
other recent Pragmatists, like Isabelle Stengers??

Takk
Dewey Dell

PS: I send this to OFS in case DriftLine closes by aswell.