[D-G] On Schizophrenia

Super Dragon superdragon at addlebrain.com
Sat Jan 15 14:38:55 PST 2011

Hi Teresa
The question of belonging to a social network is an interesting one. My 'symtoms' in the raw have never belonged to one of those.  The nearest  was my one and only hospital admission in 1990 in which I became convinced the psychiatrists were sorcerors making minions out of the clients and holding my son hostage against my good behaviour. I really only had my child hood reading to interpret the way power worked in this social setting so this was the best explanatory fit at the time. All the episodes since would have resulted in a section if anyone had known about them. I have retrospectively 'confessed' to my GP so I guess I am now in the system but as he knows I have come out of multiple episodes without hurting myself or anyone else and take no medication the rest of the time, the social network (including my employer) leave me to get on with it as and when I need to. Possibly not what D and G had in mind but it works for me.

 There are multiple proloferating perspectives on ER which is it why this deceptively simple series of statements complexifies. Not all of my psychotic epsiodes were in relation to this thought but the ones that were remain unspeakable, both though the limits of my vocabulary and through how on earth does one write about symbolic death? More recently I tried extremely hard to articulate some of this inarticulateness retrospectively in Voicing Psychotic Experiences a collection of narratives written by people who experience psychosis and used a kind of Burroughs cut out of things I had written in a range of genres re-assembled through an agrammatical graphic distribution-all the bits were grammatical but the linkages and relinkages were like irrational cuts. Sadly, I got into a fight with the publishers aboout house style and in the interests of getting all the other narratives published had to change mine. I did this under protest and refused to sign my name to it even though I am the first author/editor of the collection.

I am sure if I brought my symptoms in the raw into dialogue with the clinicians I work with I would not have a job long. However, the residual force of these is helpful when it comes to arguing with them!

Cheers Ruth

Sloughing one's skin.-The snake that cannot slough its skin perishes. Likewise spirits which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirits (Nietzsche: Daybreak:V:573)