[D-G] Concepts seen as functions

saphiregnauld saphi.regnauld at numericable.fr
Thu Apr 28 10:37:12 PDT 2011

 dear all

 according to D+G and at least in french "concepts" are not "functifs"
and will never be..

Concepts are able to mobilize the movement whereas  functifs are said to
immobilize the movement in order to build a  true equation..   This is
one the worst D+G idea : concepts are only for philo and science is left
with  second order ideas which are called  functifs.

 The basis of this is in "cartographies schizoanalytiques" by G (alone)
when he dismisses neuro sciences  and wants to promote schizio analysis
(in the french edition it is page 47 to 51)
 " notre souci principal est de developper un cadre conceptuel qui
prémunisse la schizo A contre toute tentation de s'abandonner à l'idéal
de scientificité qui prévaut ordinairement dans le domaine "psy"  "..
which in english is something like :

"our main  aim is to develop a conceptual framework which may prevent
schizo A to be leaning toward the idealistic scientist model which
usualy dominate the "psy" field..."

 Good idea , absolutely great idea for the "psy" field. But the problem
is that other sciences do not fit with this local epistemic model. For
so called "natural sciences" such as geology or physical geography or
ecology.. there is no need to separate the concept (which ables the mind
to move) and the functif which stops the minds and reduces it to a set
of neuronal interactions.

There no mind in natural sciences.. and this difference between self
concious minds and incouncious minds does mean anything.

 So D+G should not have taken the model of neuro science vs schizo A as
a universal model of the relation between science and philosophy..
Hopelessly this is not a main topic in the excellent book about Deleuze
and space..
 Anyhow

 it is of the most tricky aspect of D+G work and working about it is a
difficult task.. You have to get back to the early book on Hume and to
all the difficults relations between D and G at the end of their lives
(see Dosse's book) .

 See, above all,  A Sauvagnargues'  mega excellent book on "empirisme
transcendantal" (in french) and some papers in in Chimères..

 amicalement  RV