[D-G] Hjelmslevian analysis request

Jan Ekkelenkamp scene2003 at ananzi.co.za
Sun Nov 14 23:52:42 PST 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:33:05 -0500
 malgosia askanas <ma at panix.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Could somebody who is well-versed in Hjelmsleviam please
> give me an analysis of, say, the sentence "The cat is on
> the rug"?  By "analysis" I mean identifying the
> expression-substance, the expression-form, the
> content-substance and the content-form of the sentence.
>  No assumption is made, of course, about any cat actually
> being on any rug.
>
> With many thanks in advance,
> -malgosia

The cat is by and by on the rug, the expression substance
is informing that the rug is forminmg the cat's substance.
The expression form on the other hand = the cat is now on
the rug (but it might not have been beforehand). The
content substance is that its my cat who is on the rug or
one like that cat which, is on the rug. The content is
form, in the manner of "well, how do you like that?"
 Not a Helmslev supporter exactly, I hope you found a
little more of interest. The point is that Deluze is versed
in Spinoza and goes into an analysis of a white wall,
showing degrees of intensity, thresholds and so on.
Helmslev provides him with a more detailed set of
categories to work with in order to get at the same point
in another context more or less, I am assuming.
Jan Ekkelenkamp
* FutureBride -  Future Brides use the largest online directory for wedding preparations

http://www.FutureBride.co.za

* Free Fax to Email

http://www.ananzifax.co.za

* Ananzi Dating - Find your love today!