[D-G] New publication: Sensation, Contemporary Poetry and Deleuze

Jon Clay clayjon at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 15:35:11 PDT 2010

Hello all,
There is a new book out by me, entitled Sensation, Contemporary Poetry and Deleuze: Transformative Intensities, published by Continuum. Details are available here: http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=133807&SearchType=BasicOr here:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensation-Contemporary-Poetry-Deleuze-Transformative/dp/0826424244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274999309&sr=1-1And I hope John Hall doesn't mind me posting his endorsement (for which I'm extremely grateful): "With wonderfully patient intelligence, and without ever succumbing to polemic, Jon Clay puts to work the lexicon of Deleuze (and Guattari) on a question that has haunted modernist poetics: what is it that poems do when you read them, especially when they are “difficult”? Very carefully, he sets out the terms and, just as carefully, he demonstrates their practicality through reading poems, many of them “recalcitrant”, by contemporary UK-based poets, including Andrea Brady, the late Douglas Oliver, J.H. Prynne and Denise Riley. His close readings confirm the validity both of the method – one that is necessarily self-unsettling – and of the poems thus encountered. This book is a very welcome contribution to the poetics and pragmatics of reading. It shows how it is possible to say what it is that poems do and how this is not the same as saying what they (seem to) say, all the while arguing that another(’s) reading would be a different reading and thus call, perhaps, for another writing."Sorry for the shameless self-plug and thanks for listening. Cheers, Jon