[D-G] An Unmoderated Discussion List

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Aug 16 13:32:12 PDT 2010

Excellent observations. A couple of offerings:

Fencing of construction sites is directly related to complying with insurance
and liability requirements, similar to the necessity of hard hats, safety belts
and harnesses, licensed construction safety inspectors, and lawsuits.

Fencing first appeared as a barrier to thievery but that was surpassed by
the cost of insurance and its kissing cousin, bonding. No insurance and
bonding, no contract. These conditions were inherited from up the line,
property owners, design professionals and consultants were required to
comply with financial and legal obligations imposed by those who hired
them, and those came from higher up the line of fiduciary responsibility
and distributed CYA of all parties. Some 25-27 percent of construction
cost is attributable to multiple protection regimes fiercely armored against
legal attack from a host of interest groups who have historically been
harmed by dangerous construction practices and are now fully prepared
to push back, even take over the holdings of miscreants who try to evade
responsiblity for predatory practices.

Similarly the imposition of such regimes in digital world derives from
the growing enterprise of protection against attack, from hackers, from
thieves, from criminal companies, from governmental spies and
law enforcement. To wit, we must imposed these conditions to protect
your from you gullibility. The national military argument nearly ubiquitous
around the planet. Centralized, to be sure, national protection is guided
by a select few cleared for highest classified information.

There will eventually be levels of classified access to the Internet, presaged
by military and intelligence networks now in force, and coming soon
from Google and Verizon, and after them the deluge of market protection
against competitors.

It would be expected that the previously marginalized hacker will become
the key actor in these systems due to their fine granular knowledge of
how the systems work and their vulnerabilities, in particular their
vulnerability to social engineering of senior officials and bosses who
don't know squat beyond how to climb the career ladder.

Most interestingly, hackers are in many ways illiterate in the sense
of conventional language and literature. But they most certainly have
a language and literature of their own, a somewhat androidal mix
of verbiage and machinic intimacy, an intercourse of flesh and
materiality. If you can, observe a hacker in action (not being interviewed
which is always phony). Watch the ease with which they cross or
ignore borders, not only geographical and territorial, but against
logic, grammar, syntax and other prothesis of passing away
enlightenment, i.e., advanced education. There is a crumbling
of the legacy epistemology, still inebriated with text of the book.
Gutenbergian conceit can be sustained by scanning the world's
volumes, that is a delusion.

Finally, only hackers, that is, system administrators (not the bosses,
those who caress equipment with their imagination), know what
takes place in digital terrain where reason has no place.