[D-G] 1949 Diss. on Spinoza and Vedanta

Paul adrian Bains pbains at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 15 12:50:05 PST 2009

Hi Ruth,
Sorry to hear about your horrifying episodes!

30 yrs ago I spent some time in S. India discovering yoga (principally 'hatha' yoga) and a little about the Upanishads. I found the best modern interpreter of advaita to be Krishnamurti (hated by many). The other good modern read was Aghenanda Bharati's The Light at the Centre: Context and Pretext in Modern Mysticism.
Altho he was a little arrogant - mitigated by a keen wit.He particularly liked Chogyam trungpa rimpoche Cutting through spiritual materialism. But as in so many cases his followers in Boulder, CA, seem to be a bunch of idiots....Or as Gurdjieff would have said, 'candidates for a mental asylum'.

The main focus of Guattari's Chaosmosis was 'subjectivity' not being a 'given' - and the possibility of change. Look at the intro and the final paragraph of the book.......

For the record I would quote the philosopher and physicist/biologist Mariela Szirko who likes to say that 'in changing we do not become someone else'. Each person (whether human or not), or existential finitude, is unique.....and does not 'emerge' from the body it finds itself availing of.......but that's another story - one that anglo/american science is still somewhat ignorant of. But see:

Ontology of Consciousness: percipient agency, MIT Press, 2008. (An anthology of essays from many fields - tibetan buddhism to neuroscience...

You might find this essay by Stengers of interest (if you don't know it). 'Diderot's Egg: Divorcing materialism from eliminativism.'

http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/pdf/highlight144.pdf

Happy New Year,
Paul