[D-G] Apocryphal Festival and Workshop

admin info at flyingoutofsequence.org
Sun Oct 12 17:47:25 PDT 2008

Apocryphal Theatre
  ³experimental theatre for all²
10 Kenilworth Ave., London E17 4PE
Artistic Director: Julia Lee Barclay    Associate Director: Lucy Avery
Apocryphal Laboratory:
Bill Aitchison, Lukas Angelini, Alison Blunt, Zoë Bouras, Rachel Ellis,
Birthe Jorgensen, Boris Kahnert, Jane Munro, Theron Schmidt, Melina Seldes

Dear Friends of Apocryphal Theatre,

Welcome to Apocryphal's first newsletter!  Apocryphal Theatre lab is
an international group of performers, dancers, visual artists and
musicians dedicated to unearthing the reality-grid of right now, both
public and private.  Along with being resident at Camden People's
Theatre, we are represented by Lorem Ipsum Gallery, which attests to
how our work and our individual artists create within and between the
worlds of art, performance and experimental theatre.   We hope you
are interested in Apocryphal, but If you would rather not receive
this newsletter, please feel free to unscubscribe.

Apocryphal Festival - November at Camden People's Theatre:

We are excited to be presenting presenting a festival from 8-16
November in collaboration with Camden People's Theatre
(cptheatre.co.uk), showing work of our individual and group work.  We
are glad to be able to showcase the multiplicity of voices that make
up Apocryphal, and hope you will join us.  You may have seen some of
this work in early stages at our very successful mini-festival at
Lorem Ipsum Gallery in January-February 2008, and you can now see how
it has developed.  On Saturday 15 November you can get a sneak
preview of Besides, you lose your soul or the History of Western
Civilisation as Apocryphal members perform an improvised response to
this new text by Julia Lee Barclay, which we will be performing in
February 2009 at CPT.  This will be a pay what you can fundraising
event for that project, so please come along if you are able.  Drinks
and sparkling conversation after the show so you tell us how you
really feel.&nb sp; For more information about the festival, you can
check out the schedule and show descriptions on our website:
<>http://www.flyingoutofsequence.org/mini-festival-II.html

Workshop at Festival - open call for participation:

As part of the festival, Julia Lee Barclay will offer a workshop to
teach the tools created by the Apocryphal lab in London
(2004-present) and in labs she led in NYC at The Present Company from
1997-2002.  The workshop will culminate in participants creating
their own scores using the Apocryphal tools for an informal showing
on the final day of the festival (16 November).    If you are
interested in our work, how we do it, and searching for ways to
stimulate your own practice with new tools, this would be a good
workshop for you.

The workshop focuses on techniques of levels of address and presence
and ways of cutting these up, influenced by Burroughs/Gysin¹s
experiences of cutting up text and images on the page and
transferring this idea to live improvisation.  As the Apocryphal lab
includes artists, writers, musicians and dancers, this workshop is
open to anyone from these disciplines as well as theatre, performance
and live art.  The workshop is suited to a broad range of experience
from dedicated university students to seasoned professionals, the
main requirement being an interest in experimentation and taking
artistic risks outside of your comfort zone

Julia has taught this workshop in London and internationally at such
venues as Chisenhale Dance Space, CPT, Arcola, FringeNYC and multiple
universities in the UK and US.

The workshop will be small (no more than 12 people), so if interested
send along your CV soon to julialeebarclay at yahoo.com for
consideration (or email her with any questions). The workshop will
take place in the main theatre space in the afternoons on
Saturday-Sunday 8-9 and 15-16 November with a fee of £100/£50 (conc.).

For more information about the workshops and the company, please see
Apocryphal¹s website at <>www.flyingoutofsequence.org.

Some sample feedback from past workshops:

³...the work began to deconstruct what it means to 'perform' and it
brought a level of honesty and truth that I had never explored before²

³It made me look to a whole new levelŠI could take this and apply it
to lots of other work that I do.²

³You opened up a whole new idea to me and it has endless benefits²

And finally....

We're official!

In July we formally incorporated as a not for profit theatre company
and we are now raising funds for our upcoming show at Camden People's
Theatre in February 2009 Besides, you lose your soul or the History
of Western Civilisation.  Our new status will enable us to expand our
fundraising efforts and create the stable base we want for our lab
and our productions.

All best wishes and hoping to see you soon,
Lucy Avery
Associate Director