[D-G] Close reading : Bergson's conception of difference [2 paragraph]

filip fildh at gmx.net
Mon Oct 6 22:16:26 PDT 2008

1)If differences of nature do exist between individuals of the same kind, :
a)How can there be things of "the same kind". It looks like things are
categorized under the same "kind"; If you take Deleuze quite radically,
then i assume that there is no "kind" ?
if you put a name on something, you are always aware that it is not
precise (exept when that name is unique, made to measure). So how could
one ever think of differences in degree. In mathematics there can be a
difference of degree, but that is purly abstract.
b)Deleuzes example : you could say that the brain is a more complex
thing of the same nature than the medulla. But maybe you could say that
of adult and a baby. there is just more of the same ? and if not
evertything is the same, then there is a difference of nature. like i
see it, there is only a diference of nature, not of degree.
c)in a word, difference is not exterior or superior to the thing
this is a very non logical conclusion i think. Deleuze says that
difference of nature between things of the same kind implies that
difference is not exterior to the thing. How can 2 things which are of
the same kind, but are difference in nature lead to the conclusion that
difference lies within the thing ? Wich thing ? Aa or Ab : they have
both the same kind, but still have a difference of nature. i would say
that they are not the same kind.
d)This unity of the thing and the concept is internal differnce, which
one reaches thorugh differences of nature
could Deleuze mean that: i what we perceive as the same there is always
a difference underneath it ? (it is about the phenomenons and off course
ontology).

e) to summarize: the question i have is:
why is there a difference of degree, while everything is a difference of
nature ?
and why would an difference of nature be internal ? and what is meant by
internal in this question ?

thanks