[D-G] Call for Papers - First Annual Art and Philosophy Conference

Joseph Nechvatal jnech at thing.net
Mon Oct 29 16:33:57 PDT 2007

Call for Papers - First Annual Art and Philosophy Conference at
Stony Brook Manhattan:
March 28 - 29, 2008

The Masters in Art and Philosophy Program at Stony Brook University
in Manhattan studies the intersections of art and theory. In our
efforts to further the dialogue between traditionally disparate
fields of study, we offer this conference as an interdisciplinary
event. We welcome participants from a variety of fields and media to
respond to our inaugural theme: veils

Desiring dialogue between the worlds of art and philosophy, this
conference investigates the relationship between creative activity
and theoretical endeavor as they bear upon the notion of veils.
Invoking "veils," we gesture toward perception and materialization
through method, space and presence, hiddenness, mechanism,
expressivity, feeling, purpose and meaning. How are these elements
significant in the movement of art and philosophy? How do different
media map the horizon of truth in art? Are art and theory more or
less veiled in relation to each other? Does contemporary culture
stand in need of greater or fewer, more opaque or more transparent
veils?  How does engaging the trope of veils contribute to the
dialogue between aesthetic theory, artistic practice, and art
criticism?

These questions are not exhaustive, but they are intended to provoke
thought about the theme of veils as it bears on the dynamic
relationship of art and theory. Where these fields converge, we open
our inquiry.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
We invite the submission of original papers appropriate to these
themes from graduate students across disciplines. Complete papers
should be formatted for blind review and submitted via email to
philosophyartconference at notes.cc.sunysb.edu as a word document
(.doc). Please include a 300 - 500 word abstract and a separate cover
sheet with the author's name, paper title, institutional affiliation,
mailing address, and email address. Papers should be suitable for a
20-minute presentation (8-10 pages). We welcome the submission of
work for exhibition or performance that relates to our theme in any
media and about which the artists will be willing to present or
engage in dialogue. Please submit your work digitally on a CD with no
more than (5) jpg. images or (3) minutes of video, film, or sound.
Include an explanation of how your work relates to our theme and a
proposal for presentation, installation, and/or performance at the
conference.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Submissions must be received by January 15, 2008.

The conference will take place on Friday and Saturday March 28 and 29
at Stony Brook Manhattan: 401 Park Ave South. For further information
and updates, please consult www.philosophyartconference.org. Please
contact philosophyartconference at notes.cc.sunysb.edu with any
questions.