[D-G] Deleuze, electronic music and Deleuzian theory of body

hwenk hwenk at web.de
Fri Mar 16 00:47:09 PDT 2007

Hello Andrija,

concerning the use of freedom there is a classical song in electronic music
which handles the theme in an aestehetic, dramatic manner:
"The house of the rising sun", most popular in the version of Eric Bourdon:
"Oh mother, tell your children, not to do, what I have done .. .. "
Where the ruinous aspect of the (ab)use of freedom is emphasized.
There are a lot of famous musicans who destroyed their lifes by use of
drugs, also they were famous and had a lot of money.
It is like driving your "Merceds Benz" (Janis Joplin) against a wall.
For "You don't know what the body is able to" - Spinoza - without drugs.
Yogis know.
Concerning drugs like ecstasy, Deleuze nad Guattari
look at the "yellow liver" and "the dealer" and see and
empty body without organs produced by these drugs.
This is in thousand Plateaux: "How to make a Body without organs."
The they admire Henry Miller as he described to have drugged himself by
drinking a lot of water.
In my eyes and experience yoga breathing techniques done for a few hours are
much more
bound to give you feelings of your brain and body which let you forget all
about drugs.
Instead the offer of a cigarettte may look like something like an attack to
your  body and brain feeling.
Now, as a lot of Indian sects know a lot about religous trance I think they
will simply deny that
rave with ecstasy has something to do with it expect abuse of words.

Concerning music the reference is "About the ritournelle" in Thousand
plateaus,
and "Becoming Intensiv, becoming animal" also there.

If you seek literatur about Deleuze and Guattari: There is a little
bibliography in:
"Gilles Deleuze and the theater of philosophy" edited by Constantin V.
Boundas and Dorothea Olkowsk, Routledge, New York 1994.

greetings

Harald Wenk