[D-G] Architecture in the Space of Flows.

Chris L Smith Chris.Smith at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Nov 19 02:06:03 PST 2006

All,

The below conference/call for papers may be of interest to a few colleagues- apologies for cross posting.

Architecture in the Space of Flows: buildings - spaces - cultures
21 - 24 June 2007
Culture Lab, Newcastle University, UK.

Call for papers:
http://www.apl.ncl.ac.uk/flows/ <https://owa.ncl.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.apl.ncl.ac.uk/flows/>

Flows of energy, libido, capital, water and information make our lives possible. The buildings and spaces that support our activities inflect the flows; we tap into them, surf them, block them at our peril, or we may be excluded from them. Flows are global, but have local effects. Buildings are local, but their embodied energies flow from great distances, and their embodiments can cause local or distant turbulences. Everything is moving, intensifying, dispersing; growing, decaying, proliferating, networking, sedimenting, eroding.

Understanding ourselves, our buildings, our cities as modulators of flows represents a fundamental shift in sensibility away from the perfect Euclidian geometries of Vitruvian man, to the productive consumer, the desiring subject. Cultures and spaces are fluid and relational, and designers are searching for ways to give expression to these telluric undercurrents that are shaping and re-shaping our worlds. New sensibilities are taking shape, and it is the aim of this conference to explore and gain understanding of emergent possibilities.

The conference, or confluence, will be transdisciplinary, bringing together people who are developing ways of thinking about places and our responses to them, making use of ideas of flux.

Keynote Speakers:
Anthony Vidler, Cooper Union
Emily Apter, New York University
Brian Massumi, Université de Montréal
Erin Manning, Sense Lab, Concordia University
Andrew Ballantyne, Newcastle University

Convenors:
Andrew Ballantyne, Jean Hillier, Sally Jane Norman and Chris L. Smith

Hosted by:
Tectonic Cultures Research Group, School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape and Culture Lab

Contact:
Karen Ritchie
Tectonic Cultures Research Group
SAPL