[D-G] Getting Started with Deleuze

Rumagin at aol.com Rumagin at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 11:48:17 PST 2006

Hi

I'm an anthropologist, (aren't we all at some point) i came at it from Anti-Oedipus first, which first time flew over my head, but got easier the more i went back to it. I then did some readers and got into a thosand Plateaus. That was about five years ago. Since then ive taken a random approach to all his texts, to various secondary sources too, things like conversations and essays with his buddies and contemporaries - i jump backwards and forwards pre 68 to late 80s back to the 70s to now and ive always thought that is the best way. An immersion across time, space and place - for that matter topic also.  Recently ive seen the merits of develling into Spinoza too and ive found that really helps, but i think Deleuze and Guattari are trying to say dont look at thought or their thought as a certain sequence, even if the person who introduced me to D&G hit me with Nietzcshe, Freud, Hiedegger, Arendt, Benjamin, Lacan, Deridda and others before Deleuze.

I think the advice given by gondominnie makes sense 'what is interesting is if you come from one point of interest.'

Always have your questions or ideas or the things you want to relate it to in mind and that melts the haze - it really does. and its opens up pathways/connections you might not normally make. Their works inspires new perspectives but you have to keep your eyes open and on many differents points, affects and layers to catch the sense. I also think its a question of time.

But all this is my POV, nothing more

Dylan