[D-G] within psychiatry

hwenk hwenk at web.de
Tue Feb 14 12:22:02 PST 2006

Hello,

you interpretation of Spinoza is very literal, following his words very closely.
Now there is a little bit background needed.
In a certain way Spinoza and other philosophers of the 17. century
Locke or Malebranche, most prominent Berkeley
started with the consciousness - inspired by Descartes -
and the feeling and thinking of I or oneself which is
what is real in a primary sense.
The body is only present in mind as being affected, which also means modified which, as you
pointed out, is mostly to be understand as a change from one
state to another. As the feelings
are felt without interruption, or in intervals, they are
continuous giving the variation.
So Spinoza meant,  to identify an affect, there must be
an idea of what affects. It is possible to be affected without identifying the
body or idea doing so - a change of mood, you don't where it comes from.
You know that ideas are only affected by ideas and bodies are only affected by
bodies.
So the body affects your body and the ideas of the body affect your idea - which at first is the idea of your body - what
 you feel as affection.
So if you love somebody you are pleased to see him or you are affected with joy
connected with the idea of the beloved person - in your example more Peter than Paul.
That are the affections coming from the outside.
But there is also a continuous stream of self affection, not bound
to present ideas or remembering past ones.
In Spinoza and tradition there has to be a stream of tiny affections from the
outward to make you feel yourself, but this in my eyes is hard to hold.

This is happiness bound to the idea of the body and mind of oneself in experiencing yourself.
Also Spinoza pointed rightly out, an affect is more determined from the affected body than
from the affecting one.
That means that the idea of the things or people affecting you
disturb or change your self affection, which is your way
of perceiving the world - including moods.
And this way is the most important for you.
So don't expect too much from outer things and let
disturb you.
Why are people are able to make you feel sad?
Even people you are thinking they want to suppress you.
In old days this problem had led to the radical
autonomous variant of not clinging to anything - taken religious only clinging to god.
The reason is that all finite existing things including people
are bound to change or to be destroyed, so that the happiness gained from them
turns into sadness - if Peter or your beloved woman dies for example or  don't loves you
anymore with the intensity you are used to.

This is also an argument of Spinoza in his short treaties on
god, man and his happiness.
As Spinoza takes God to be nature he turns classical
in knowing god or nature is happiness for eternity as nature or god is for eternity.

This is the reason why Spinoza is taken as having one leg in the old scholastic
and religious tradition
and the other one in modern science an  ethic with highest emphasis to scientific knowledge.

Now to the argument concerning the sadness of the priests and the government.
Of course you know, they do so for educational reasons,
in order to bring people to behave to what they think
is necessary for a cultural and safe life.
Of course they overwhelm a lot,
 looking at
people in a certain way as naughty kids.

On the other hand,  the reason for the distinction between good and bad and not
evil - a point on which Deleuze insists very much relating it to Nietzsche -
is that your self affections are bound to a good functioning of body and mind - virtue.
This is stated explicitly by Spinoza.
For the body he refers to medicine, which in my eyes as a yogi is too little, and
for the mind he refers to science or knowledge writing an essay
concerning the improvement of the mind - a theme often handled in the
17. century by famous essays of Locke, Hume, Leibniz and others.

So he tried to avoid sadness by learning correct or adequate thinking,
making your mind and feelings a little bit stable against outer catastrophes.
This is stoic virtue concerning thinking and the reason for writing his "Ethic"
- giving happiness in your self affections by learning right thinking and right doing.
Thus he often states "Under the guidance of reason" in book three, four and five of the "Ethic".
Under the guidance of reason you avoid destroying your body and mind and keep them
like a garden flowering.
And there is a lot of sadness by doing harm to your body and mind by yourself.
This is the case in hate or excessive drinking, not thinking in the long run future .. -  to be honest there are a lot
of bad things for Spinoza that are also evil things for the priests.
So often only the argument has changed, but the behaviour demanded is the same.

It is not to forget, that Spinozas Ethic is one centred to
individual and personal behaviour, not so much a political ethic.
This is also in antique tradition.
So - take a look at yourself to avoid sadness.

But in order to magnify or reach the greatest happiness of the greatest number - which would also guarantee your own one -
 it is
reasonable to generalize the way you find to happiness and avoidance of sadness
to all people - which of course includes safety and political and economical thinking.

greetings Harald Wenk