[D-G] beyond psychiatry

nicholas lalvani nicholaslalvani at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 08:37:36 PST 2006

Dear all, I was working as a psychiatrist in London until a year ago but was
dismissed following a nightmarish few months during which I tried to bring
to the attention of senior management a couple of members of staff who were
behaving rather aggressively towards patients. My concerns were met with
derision from management who infromed the two practioners of my concerns.
The two practioners, both senior to me, then concoted a nice set of
allegations concerning my hollding "views which could be deemed
anti-psychiatry and thus put patients at risk". I was dismissed from my post
and prevented from practicing again in London. During this period of
confrontation, I read some of the works of Foucalt, Deleuze and Guttari, and
felt that perhaps I was extremely naive in entering psychiatry with the hope
of achieving anything which the "patients" mind find of value to their
lives.

I would like to know if there is a good introduction to the work of D+G
which can lead on to further study and also what people's opinions are as to
whether D+G feel there is anything worthwhile about thepursuit of psychiatry
at all.

Yours,

Nick