[D-G] theater performance practitioners?

malgosia askanas ma at panix.com
Sun Oct 16 20:11:02 PDT 2005

Julia wrote:

> Undermine the reality-grid of right now: meaning that which we say "that's
> the way it is" about - either publicly or privately.
> [...]
> How: by creating theatrical pieces that uproot the static nature of
> language, gesture, character, etc. in such a way as to bring about this
> process of becoming: first in our own bodies/souls/minds as
> players/writers/designers/choreographers/directors and thence into the
> bodies/minds/souls of the audience.

I am a theater/performance practitioner, and am curious about some aspects
of what you wrote:

(1) What do you mean by "static nature of language, gesture, character, etc"?
    Can you give some examples of how your pieces accomplish the uprooting you
    mention above?
(2) What is the postulated psychological mechanism whereby such an uprooting
    of the static nature of language, gesture, character, etc., would bring
    about a process of "becoming" in the players/writers/etc?  Are there any
    empirical data to support that contention?  And what kind of a becoming
    is being hoped for or accomplished - does it matter?
(3) Who is your intended audience?  I assume they are not, for example,
    militant neofascists, Christian fundamentalists, career military,
    or Big Bang fanatics.
(4) What is the postulated psychological mechanism whereby watching a
    theatrical piece that accomplishes the uprooting you mention above
    would bring about a process of "becoming" in the audience?  To bring about
    a "becoming" in the audience, is it necessary to first accomplish a
    "becoming" in the performers/writers/etc, or are these independent
    processes?

-m