[D-G] theater performance practitioners?

Liza Kozner liza_kozner at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 09:39:49 PDT 2005

hi Julia,

 I was in NYC this summer in Columbia's International Film School. It's has been so that I had read Judith Weston book "Directing Actors", and the "Film's Directors Intuition", and also had written many manuscript and scenarii since 1998 when I left school and got in the Margins, I have loads of texts since that, and wanted to shift recently from solitude from what I had been  writing,  to learn the process of working with actors, (and others like musicians)so I took the classes of the summer six week intensive in Columbia,  to tackle with difficult ideas in script when working with any "type of actors". for example  I was in the class and we were trying to analyse American Beuaty in Beats, in Action Verbs, etc etc, and, I have my own way of thinking which is close to DG but slightly not it, but it's too early to talk about my own way of thinking, anyway I proposed the teacher than instead of using what seemed a bit like dialectic, ie. "this character tries to show his superiority",
 i found this way of doing oversimplyfication, and said to teacher, could we not use the tools provided by philosophy, i am thinking of deleuze and guattari, like yes like desire, schizo-analysis, the teacher told the class there was no way an actor could understand those tools, that is was too much something, he said "ah ah ah deluuze", liza what you re coming with aha aha ah, yet well i cannot agree and think if my mind works like this and if suits the quality of the script then , well and as art is also thinking, and making no definitive distinction a priori between art and philosophy, i keep the will to pursue this way, and to carry or develop a personnal way of working with actors which agrees to the ideas which are mine or present in my understanding.

this said and i don't know what performance you are doing, yet i am wondering, and i had included the essay of Judith Weston on the Ostyan Platform in this list in 2K1, and I think the classical intuitive way of Judith Weston, could offer a kind of spinozist reading which can shed its own interest for philosopher. The thing is mostly, despite the devide between, despite the wandering of Deleuze across various aspects, and the ditto "decloisonnement", much is still present of the disciplinar, what i guess is disciplinar divide, and that much is guaranted to protect the students, either of Philosophy either of Cinema, from mixing creatively, and elaborating cross and bridges of intellectual guise. I also could discuss about Cinema being interesting for this, especially the artistic industry or activity which can guide the spinozist apprentice, to learn to "affect your body by more things", especially since it helps to encounter different realities of human nature, or non human nature,
 and, well i am not knowing if Cinema is of interest to you. I am now trying to present a portfolio, which are images, I am wanting to be accepted to Canada in a school of 3D animation. But I am very open, and as what regards 3D animation I am not doing it like ... Blue Screen + Live Actors, but I am developping all kind of ideas so as to entertain what I like, the dadaist, oral, lyricall inspiration which is so good in all arts, and absent on internet most of the time, of collective flight lines meetings, etc I think also Animation to be interesting to encounter various nodes of society, like sculpture, painting on sculpture, mixing with practice of performance, immanent way. . i can send you my portfolio of 2D and 3D images by personal mail as so we can see better who we are really, because there are lots of decorums on these lists and that is interesting as well. i am happy i have someone with whom i can discuss performance, i just don't understand what are you doing. in what
 school are you are you in London, and what do you do? tell me if i can send you the portfolio its an adobe acrobat files with pictures. bye./

Julia Barclay <julia at flyingoutofsequence.org> wrote:
Hi there,
I joined this recently and am working on a practice-based PhD in the UK
(though I from NYC) relating my own theater/re practice to D&G, especially
desiring machines and rhizomatics...though this may shift some...
So my question to the list is: is anyone else on this list that creates live
performances, anywhere in the world, of any kind that has also been
influenced by D&G or know of anyone else who has, who would be willing to
discuss this with me?
Thanks,
Julia