[D-G] Politics of desire and the 21st century

sid littlefield falsedeity at lycos.com
Wed May 4 09:30:40 PDT 2005

So, I was reading an article by Badiou that was published in Le Monde on the french ban on the hijab (islamic headscarf). I was struck by the moments of strange conservativism in his tone, but then he moved into the critique of sexuality as it exists now. And so I wondered (to pick up a thread from an earlier discussion here) if the Deleuzian insistance on a politics of desire was not a relic of the late 60's. Have we not already acheived this proliferation of sexual desires and sexual identities and found that they interfere very little in the movement of Capital. Perhaps I am a little turned around here, been reading too many men in uncomfortable pants (i.e. Zizek, Lacan, etc.) but isn't desire a dead end, or better yet a dead road, for politics.

Just want the discussion and then we can return to the "rhizomatic poetry the sets my soul upon a line of flight to great Georgejacksonutopia of escapes and failed escapes and lost lusts"

sid