[D-G] FW: 4 MSA CFPs... new psychologies in lit. crit.

Chris Chapman chapman0603 at rogers.com
Mon Feb 28 06:22:26 PST 2005

Can we look at the first of these calls for papers here?

4 CFPS FOR PANELS TO BE PROPOSED AT MSA 7, NOV. 3-5, 2005

"NEW PSYCHOLOGIES IN LITERARY CRITICISM"

	For those interested in psychologically-oriented literary
criticism, this is an exciting moment to be practicing our craft because
the times, they are a-changin.  Beginning as early as 1916, psychological
criticism in the humanities has been dominated by Freudian and
neo-Freudian thinkers, some Jungians, a few Lacanians and little else.
In the last fifteen years or so, however, many literary scholars have set
out on their own personal educational quest and are doing what their
forebears did 100 years ago (when incorporating Freudian thinking into
their criticism):  they have become students once again, and have begun
the serious study of such related disciplines as (for lack of better
phrases) mainstream psychology: (cognition, or family systems, and/or
evolutionary bio-psychology).

CFP requests Abstracts of 500 words or less on the PRACTICAL use of
any of these new psycholgies in "reading" canonical literary works.  I see
this panel as less another exposition of theory and more how a given new
psychology can be used in practical criticism.

I'm thinking of reading Butler against _The Underground Man_ in its next
generations -- Ford, Conrad.

Butler would be the perfect figure to apply here against U-Man
morality/psychology.  I would use Butler to compare/contrast against later
interpretations, including the Freudian, of the Dostoevskyian moral.

I'm looking for other Modernists whom you may think delve into the
ethological vision. Any suggestions? Miller perhaps? I'm unfamiliar with him
outside of G&D quotes of his work.

Please advise.
(Sylvie, got any gems you'ld like to share?)

Chris

[...]

Send your Abstracts and a one-page CV to

John V. Knapp

330 Reavis Hall
Department of English
Northern Illinois University,
Dekalb 60115 USA
(815) 753-6632
-_____________________________________________________________

"Modernisms in/and the Sciences"

This year, the centennial of Einstein's papers on relativity and the
photoelectric effect, seems an apt occasion for MSA to rethink
connections between modernism(s) and the natural sciences. Scholars have
long examined depictions of scientific ideas and scientists like
Einstein by modernist writers and artists. Although papers in this
tradition are welcome, I propose we also reverse this pattern, asking
whether and how characteristics of modernist culture affected science.
For example, does modern art influence the construction of scientific
images? Do modernist ways of thinking change the writing of popular
science or scientific papers? How can we best understand resemblances
between modernist themes like fragmentation, experimentation, and noise and
their counterparts in science?

Preliminary inquiries (encouraged) and abstracts by April 1 to Suzanne
Black (blacksh at cla.purdue.edu).

"Modernism and Biopolitics"

Building not only on Michel Foucault's work on "bio-power" but also on
Hannah Arendt's prescient discussions of the modern "primacy of natural
life over political action," Giorgio Agamben has provocatively explored
the circumstances under which "the State decides to assume directly the care
of the nation's biological life as one of its proper tasks."  What
exactly are the implications for modernist literary studies of what
Agamben calls "the biopolitical turn of modernity"?  In preparation for
a potential panel at the Modernist Studies Association conference in
Chicago (3-6 November 2005), I am seeking papers that touch on any
aspect of the emergent biopolitics of the modernist period.  Of
particular interest are papers that discuss the impact on modernist
writing and/or writers of such matters as the rise of the passport, the
regulation of agricultural production, the growth of progressive
taxation, the embrace of eugenics, the policing of the sex industry, as
well as the implementation of state-sanctioned policies regarding birth
control, abortion, and sterilization.  Send a 300 word abstract to
<andrew.john.miller at umontreal.ca> by 4 April 2005.

Professor Andrew John Miller
Département d'études anglaises
Université de Montréal

‘(Surviving) Modernism at the Outbreak of the Great War: August 1914’

 It was unpredictable, at the outset, what impact the Great War would have
on the arts. For many of the practitioners and coteries in European
capitals, August 1914 brought with it a seismic shift in tolerance, verging
on cultural hostility, for the entire modernist experiment. For other
individuals, the continuation and survival of pre-war cultural ‘progress’
seemed vital in a climate where the Kultur of the Central Powers could not
be seen to score an early victory against ‘the West’. Either way modernism
was buffeted, perhaps even chased across the Atlantic, in the initial
turbulence caused by the outbreak of ‘the war to end all war’ and became the
focus of many impassioned debates both for and against its relevance and
survival.

This panel will focus exclusively on the year 1914 and on contemporary
projections/debates concerning what impact the war might have on
modernism,in all disciplines, in Europe and North America, and assess its
critical position by the Christmas truce of December 1914.

If this is of interest please send a 250 word abstract to
michael.walsh at emu.edu.tr before April 9.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Assistant Professor Michael Walsh

Department of Archaeology and Art History

Faculty of Arts and Sciences

Eastern Mediterranean University

Michael.walsh at emu.edu.tr

Tel: 90 392 630 2280 (office)