[D-G] maths.

Liza Kozner liza_kozner at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 10:40:50 PST 2005

Tell me more about mathematics, the multidimensions. Try to explain me . I bought a book about String Dimensions, but cannot understand the formulas. Could you do it, and try to explain the idea of multiple dimensions that is in mathematics. Could you express mathematics tensors by words and reason would develop out of words, here, instead than formulas, is it impossible. Thanks for your answer on Maths.

hwenk <hwenk at web.de> wrote:  Hello Liza,

it is a little bit funny, but the quote of Deleuze concerning
the most accelerated conjunction of particles and signs
gives us a good common ground.

Let us for fun think, that deliric poetry or
thinking leaving as much as possible a
narrative or otherwise organized social code
were the most deterriolized and, in a way, the most powerful, expressing and
having the highest degree of freedom.

The subjective fallacy of that is that one has to be used to
handle such high energetic signs.
There you have to be in a very healthy, more Olympic, state, both bodily
and in regard of faculty of thinking.
A lot of critic people are inclined to drink a lot and move little or sleep
to little or have to much stress, weakening their body and mind.
The advantage of mathematics in this regard is the high degree of
self-control.
Not everything in mathematics is correct, so you have to be very
strenghtfull in thinking, for things get very soon very complicated.
This is not the case in poetry or political discourses, where the danger to
go astray without
noticing it is very high.
This gives a feeling of freedom, not related to any greater outward, not
real freedom itself.

But in reality, technology is highly based on physics, which in turn is
highly based on
mathematics - especially differential equations and calculus, where tensors
are
a multi dimensional example, mostly matrices of the first or second
derivatives.

Originally there where stress tensors, describing the movement and forces
acting on a body or a flow
of liquids.

What book of maths would be favourable to read depends on the knowledge
which is already there.
The list of authors given have written a lot.
Spivak and Stoker wrote good and exhaustive books about riemmanian
differential geometry.
The work of Gödel is to mathematics a little bit strange, it doesn't play
any role in
research praxis, except mathematical logic.
The best would be, to r ead the article of Gödel himself.
I think it is in the annals of mathematics from the year 1931.

But there are no constrains from Gödel for mathematics,
for to decide for every sentence if it is derivable from a given sysrem of
axioms is not a feature demanded and to
produce by adding new axioms if needed - by Deleuze also puttiong as a place
of political battle.
Lewis Carroll was a founder of mathematical logic, the stories about a Alice
a very funny.
The best quote is
"Paperlapap - the question is, who has the power" . from Alice behind the
mirrors.
I think this is a deep rooted thinking, even inspiring Deleuze, especially
by poltical oriented people.

As you know, the idea of essences is, that they don't exclude one another as
existences do.
Therefore their combination is the dream and model of a joyful and peaceful
synergetic world of the mind.

In practice this means, that the academic world maybe world with the highest
culture,
being less competitive, with most respect and at least cruel and not
dominated by narcism.
Narcism is also a danger of poetry and political discourses.

To put it short for you, mathematics is a way of thinking in contact with
something real and social
guaranteed too, as being plain understandable - which is not the case for
poetry and politics.

Deleuze himself reminds the role statistics play
in social science, as reasearch of mass processes in his (and my) opinion
with full right.
Maybe not in the form as it is practiced now, but looking at six billion
people
without the aid of statistics and probability theory looks not very at the
height of the problems.

Best wishes (who are acting always in the near As Deleuze and Guattari say
in Anti-Oedipe)

Dr. Harald Wenk