[D-G] Re: Deleuze-guattari-driftline.org Digest, Vol 1, Issue 12

Jeremy Livingston jeremy.livingston at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 14:18:08 PST 2004

I can relate, Sylvie. Don't drink, don't smoke. ("What do you do?" --
Adam and the Ants, I think?) People are nonplussed when they learn I
have devoted my life to celebrating, to sin, to the Dionysian, and yet
I seem so -- moral. They can only understand chaos as total abandon,
as gross annihilation. But that is not how it works for me. I can feel
the pulse of life in a much more subtle rhythm; I do not need to
destroy order because I can feel the chaos seething underneath it. My
own exuberance finds form in the infinite depth of my love for gentler
pleasures, gentler tastes. I enrapture myself on instinct and on
consciousness, not on loss or dulling or in-toxic-ation. I feast on
garlic stuffed olives and steak soup with brie and brown sauce and
whole wheat bread with week-old butter, not pills or needles. My
orgies (usually) take only one other participant -- at most! -- and,
if I want, I can get drunk on water. There is more feeling of power in
the quiet flexing of my muscles on a long walk about town, than in the
routinized absurdity of club dancing. These are my reveries.