[D-G] Dosse

Charles J. Stivale ad4928 at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 13 11:11:26 PDT 2011

Dear Julia, Jeff and all,
Some impressions on the Dosse book: I am, like the rest of you, generally impressed at the detail of the many ebbs and flows of the individual lives recounted there, and then their intersections. What both amuses me and perplexes me, as somewhat of an insider to some of the events in ch. 26 "Winning over the West," is the somewhat haphazardness of the interviews on which Dosse establishes the details of chs 26 & 27. Not that there is anything necessarily "wrong" (although the SubStance 66 issue I edited came out in 1991, before the first Trent conference in 1992; cf. note 30, p. 604), but some of it seems approximate. E.g., as eminent as Dudley Andrew is as a film scholar, he does not strike me as the most obvious person to contact re Deleuze and film. Some of this makes me wonder what in the earlier chapters (that I read entirely as an outsider, uninvolved in the events of the 50s-80s) also corresponds to such approximations.
In any case, this is a rather important assessment of the becomings of their works.
CJ Stivale