[D-G] Harald's posts

Cain, Prof. Jeffrey P. CainJ at sacredheart.edu
Sat Apr 30 09:37:43 PDT 2011

Needess to say, I've been paying close attention to the discussion as it goes forward and shall continue to do so.  One thing that slightly concerns me is the possibility that in some contexts mathematical terms can be used as metaphors rather than as words with a solid denotative sense.  This, it seems to me, would not be all that productive, although I'm the least skilled in the bunch at the moment. I hasten to add that I'm not charging anyone with doing that, just pointing out that it's a potential pitfall.  Actually, I sometimes think Lacan is doing it--his use of the "asymptote" is an example, perhaps not a good one--and definitely don't want to think D&G are.

Just a thought.

Jeff