[D-G] Voicing Psychotic Experiences

Super Dragon superdragon at addlebrain.com
Tue Sep 15 01:30:34 PDT 2009

Hi all, I thought some of you might be interested in this-although the book isn't 'on' Deleuze and Guattari-it is a practical attempt at making sense from nonsense without idealising schizophrenia. The narratives are by people with first hand experience of psychosis whereas the editorial attempts to break down some of the molar oppositions in mental health practice in the Uk. Implicitly, I have tried to open these practices to oustide thought without being 'too theoretical' for the targetted audience (frontline mental health workers and people that experience psychosis). Some of it is a bit bleak.

Cheers Ruth

NEW - Voicing Psychotic Experiences
A reconsideration of recovery and diversity
Edited by Ruth Chandler and Mark Hayward

Voicing Psychotic Experiences explores the process of recovery from psychosis, although is applicable to recovery from all mental health problems, by looking at definitions, research, diversity and personal experiences. This handbook presents a series of recovery narratives with the aim of giving an insight into the process of recovery with each chapter clearly pulling out ‘lessons learnt’ for practice. The authors challenge the notion that one single model of recovery can be an adequate operational model and they instead offer a qualitative evidence base for understanding psychotic experience(s) as part of a diverse recovery spectrum.

Comments on the book:

‘This book presents a powerful tool for staff, carers and people who use mental health services to engage in person-centred support.’
John Larson, Rethink

'Everyone who works in mental health services… or has themselves experienced mental health problems should read this book.’
Anne Cooke, Canterbury Christ Church University

"These stories provide enough evidence to convince us of the need to transform Mental Health Services to become recovery-orientated"
Dr Jed Boardman PhD FRCPsych, Consultant/Senior Lecturer in Social Psychiatry South London and Maudsley NHS Trust and Health Services and Population Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry

"There exists a huge void between the worlds of mental health staff and people who experience psychosis. Within this void there is silence, stigma, abuse, fear, misunderstanding and layers upon layers of discrimination.

The story tellers in 'Voicing Psychotic Experiences have reached out to fill this void by providing real and gripping accounts of their experiences, now it is up to the reader to embrace these stories and to change not only their practice but the practice of others in developing and applying human rights based approaches to healthcare in the UK and around the world"
Robert Jones, Head of Equality and Diversity, East London NHS Foundation Trust

This is a great book. The word 'insight' is often used and discussed in relation to mental health problems. Anyone who reads these narrative accounts from people who have experienced psychosis will gain a great deal of insight into their lives, loves, frustrations, traumas and how they have, in different ways, made sense of their experiences. These honest, open and fascinating accounts are also put into context through the discourse and reflections of the editors.

This book has evolved from the efforts of a few people who share a common passion for education and training in the mental health field. Nobody ever told them they should provide this training - they just do it because they both want to and believe in it. Their success emanates from their internal sense that what they do is important. I hope they continue on the path they have chosen and I also hope that many people read this excellent book.
Thurstine Basset Independent Training Consultant Visiting Fellow, University of Brighton Chair, Mental Health Training Forum, Middlesex University

This book can be used in conjunction with the Psychosis Revisited training manual or independently as part of an evidence base for recovery as a broad spectrum of different meanings. Vital information for: mental health workers, users, carers and students

Price: £ 19.95
Code: BH5
ISBN:  978 1 84196 250 4

 View Sample

Add to cart
Back

Download an order form here and fax your order to: 0844 880 5062

Sloughing one's skin.-The snake that cannot slough its skin perishes. Likewise spirits which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirits (Nietzsche: Daybreak:V:573)