[D-G] 1949 Diss. on Spinoza and Vedanta

Wouter Kusters wku at ziggo.nl
Thu Jan 15 10:12:46 PST 2009

Hi Ruth,

> The reason I write is because I have been studying the lives of
> Hindu sunyassin dedicated to experiential union with advaita
> (literal meaning not two). The study was prompted by the
> similarity of this understanding of nondual reality and themes in
> Deleuze. The big difference is the manner of attaining what
> amounts to a transpersonal consciousness-for the sunyassin, the
> methods are chiefly yogic, contemplative and ascetic-while there
> is violence in the process,the desired state is blissful
> immersion and desubjectification v the violent process of
> desubjectification described by Deleuze.
>
> As with yourself, I am more in favour of subjectivities for
> better or worse these days. It should not be forgotten that
> Deleuze also talks about resubjectification

Do you mean "reterritorialisation"?

> -a position that is
> not tenable for the sunyassin and which Nietzsche did not
> achieve. I am now out of the closet at having lived through
> several quite horrifying psychotic episodes in my own meditations
> on Eternal Return-it was a bit difficult to sat this while I was
> a doctoral student.

In psychosis, the Eternal Return can be quite scary, because there is no way out! Completely surrounded, and even no time to immerse in sleep...:-(

>  It is symbolic death (but not quite) for delusionary experience
> resymbolizes idiosyncratically at the 'edge'. I have been in
> these expereinces, a housefly, a spaceship and other transitory
> images of transcndence and immanence (images in which de and re
> subjectification play back and forth in precisely the zone of
> indetermination proposed). My point is desubjectification ain't
> funny

No, indeed, it isnt..

> and returning from the dead ( as recommeded in WIP) much
> easier said than done. However, having done it and reassembled as
> something like a proviosional speaking subject, I would say that
> there is both something core that is esistentially personal but
> which by no means can be called an I and encounter which pushes
> the personal self past its sustainable threshold. In other words-
> Being is indeed experienced as a clamour in these states but
> nobody could live there for long. But going there does change
> subjectivity for better or worse...

mmm, that something core, isnt that just some continuity in the environment, instead of being personal (although, memory is involved, but perhaps not 'personal memory')

WK