[Deleuze-Guattari] t is for tennis

Santiago Colas scolas at umich.edu
Wed Sep 12 07:22:35 PDT 2007

Hey Martin,

In Negotiations, an essay called "mediators" "The kind of movements
you find in sports and habits are changing.  We got by for a long
time with an energetic conception of motion, where there's a point of
contact, or we are the source of movement.  Running, putting the
shot, and so on: effort, resistance, with a starting point, a lever.
But  nowadays we see movement defined less and less in relation to a
point of leverage.  All the new sports -- surfing, windsurfing, hang-
gliding -- take the form of entering into an existing wave.  There's
no longer an origin as starting point, but a sort of putting-into-
orbit.  The key thing is how to get taken up in the motion of a big
wave, a column of rising air, to 'get into something' instead of
being the origin of an effort." (p. 121)

hope this helps

santiago