[Deleuze-Guattari] waffling, again...

james spatium at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:12:04 PDT 2007

All

Since I have joined this list, there have been many complaints about
"waffling" (see one of the recent threads).  Some of which have
started long tirades, and others which have simply fizzled out.  Since
it has been brought up again, I feel compelled to make a few points:

 - this is, as far as I can tell, an English language mailing list;
now this isn't to say that other languages are not useful here, but my
feeeling is that the overall understanding should be provided in
English; so, if other languages are to be used, including the ever
more  frequent strains of gibberish, they should be accompanied by
some kind of translation

- there is a sense, put forward by several list members, that they are
D&G experts; now, I have no idea what this might mean, but it comes
across as "D&G would sugggest...", or "D&G intended...", or "what D&G
mean by this is..."; for my part, I have been studying the writings of
Deleuze and Guattari for many years now, and in no way do I consider
myself capable of speaking as a "Deleuzoguatarrian" (or whatever), or
even elevating their writings to a level where a statement like
"according to D&G..." has any inherent weight at all; what I  am
saying here is: is this not a venue for discovery and elaboration,
rather than banter and point-proving?

- finally, I know that there are (or, at least, were) some great minds
lurking in the shadows of this list, and while I am sure they are busy
(and quite frankly, bored by the list), it would be ever so helpful if
and when a question or statement (or...) arises that they have the
courage to step forward and put in two or three cents worth; hey,
maybe some of you might even want to try to stimulate some of the
other lurkers into some new discussions, just like the good ol' days
(I mean, the field can't be saturated yet can it?  or is there now a
fear of exposing research in a world that tends to promote only highly
competitive academic relations?)

Anyway, sorry for jumping in again, but I would dearly love to see and
read a post on this list that would have me anticipating my next
logon...

james