[Deleuze-Guattari] Death of Baudrillard

hwenk hwenk at web.de
Sat Jul 28 12:38:51 PDT 2007

Hello,
as someone seem to have mentioned Baudrillard,
you will know that he died
a few month ago.
He wrote a critic on Deleuze and Foucault: "Oublier Foucault".
It was not very influential at its time.
He hold a position as professor in Nanterre, but then he had to
leave and live as a free writer.
In course of that he wrote also a critic on a
big bestseller, a sexual autobiography,
which was also sold in French supermarkets.
In Germany the translation has not been such successful.
I think, Baudrillard was also interested and forced
to write on some issues present in the
mass media.

Die anyone know something about Baudrillard demission from Nanterre?

His famous main opus  was "The symbolic exchange and the death"
which tried to make a lot of Marcel Mauss description
of symbolic exchange, with the prominent feature
of increasing the "answer" of a exchange,
a  structure reminding of offending and responding to it.
For Deleuze and Guattari, this Potlatch
is a barrier against the state,
making accumulation of wealth impossible,
as you have to use your wealth to answer a present, which is the form of the
exchange.
Without accumulation, the
barrier to more differentiated division of work is
not to overcome.

Even if one does not share the view of Baudrillard,
its interesting to read it, especially "The symbolic exchange and the
death".
That is also  widespread opinion in newspapers here in Germany.
I read it long time ago, but I have the personal impression,
these  structure, like being very generous in bars
or as a teeny,  -
Boasting, offending, get more and more unimportant.
That would be not so bad.

Mauss was a nephew of Durkheim, a famous ethno loge.
Durkheim was a father od sociology - as maybe widely known.

Anyway, the death of a aware and creative intellectual
not in a mainstream academic school is very regretful,
increasing the normal regretful ness of the dead of a human being.

greetings Harald Wenk