[D-G] Hello everyone

hwenk hwenk at web.de
Fri Oct 7 07:20:44 PDT 2005

Hello again,

this is a little bit funny, because the introduction is the famous
text "Rhizom".
The rhizom itself is a kind of root.
It consists of "plateaus".
To get a better understanding it is of course good to read the whole
introduction. The plateaus are mentioned near the end of the text,
look at the footnote 21 with reference to
Bateson.
I read it a lot of time ago, even long brfore the appearance of "Mille
Plateaux".
To talk a little, the situation was that Deleuze and Guattari got very
famous in
1972 with their "Anti-oedipe".
As I mentioned before, it was a original, anarchistic inspired
conjunction of Freud andf Marx.
They announced a second volume,
and 1975 or 1976 the introduction "Rhizom" appeared. It is a piece of
poststructalism and tried a kind of thinking a unification without
totalisation.
A modell are the rhizom and the plateaus and mathematically manifolds -
which are described by charts.
This text was quite influentional.
But it lasts until 198o until "Mille Plateaux" itself appeared - this was
too late.
A little bit the discussion of Freud and Marx were over, a decline of the
left had set in. The book is awful complicated, because it tried a new
thinking with references to a lot of
biological and other natural sciences, normally not the realm of
philosophers trained more in linguistics - leading to a bit angryness.
Further the connection to the "anti-oedipe" was not so obvious.
So it was little perceived and I think a lot of former Deleuze Guattari
friends were a little  disappointed.
So in reading the introduction "rhizom" you get also a glimpse of the time,
when Deleuze and Guattari were widely discussed and probably more older
people you meet or talk with have read it too - but not "Mille Plateaux".
I myself would not underwrite every line of Deleuze and Guattari - to speak
harmless.

greetings Harald Wenk