[D-G] Re: Politics of desire and the 21st century

Jeremy Livingston jeremy.livingston at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:24:34 PDT 2005

On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:30:40 -0800, "sid littlefield" wrote:
> And so I wondered (to pick up a thread from an earlier discussion here) if the Deleuzian
> insistance on a politics of desire was not a relic of the late 60's. Have we not already
> acheived this proliferation of sexual desires and sexual identities and found that they
> interfere very little in the movement of Capital.

Proliferation of desire does not a politics make. A great deal of
progress has been made, and is being made, toward a transformation of
politics, towards its infusion with desire (sexual or otherwise); to a
large extent, desire is also still deployed in spite of politics. But
in any event, we have yet to see a politics that takes desire as its
object. We still thrive on the politics of indignation; we have not
yet had done with judgment.

Jeremy