[D-G] Celebrity Deathmatch: D&G vs Badiou

Chapman chapman0603 at rogers.com
Fri Jan 21 06:09:18 PST 2005

Glen, I've just read your post. It's given me much to chew on, Merci. I'm
going to take the wekend to find LoS and do some reading.

In the meanwhile I have to ask you if you've read Massumi's 'Involutionary
Afterward'? There he unpacks a bit of the virtual / actual relationship. To
be gross abt it, I think the distinction has to do with the difference
between two acts of interpretation: sorting out 'actual' differences through
forming royal analogies by noticing similarities that differ and empirical
veridity or the virtual differences held together by common analogies,
things that sample a common, measurable property.

I see you discuss traffic between the actual and the virtual in your last
post, intuit that they are in some manner connected and informing, but I
think that this passage / connection is still indebted to Lacan, a way of
entering into language as the subject making surplus? My gut tells me that
the 'passive syntheses of conjugation' necessary for the 'schizo' (good) is
in dismantling this connection between the actual and the virtual, allowing
them to run parallel and in themselves. I probably owe that thought to
Massumi.

Thanks,

Chris.