[D-G] What is the difference between a schizo and a bad poet?

Mark Crosby Crosby_M at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:06:43 PST 2005

--- sid littlefield <falsedeity at lycos.com> wrote:
> A "discussion group" born out of what could be said
> to be good intentions forced into to dormancy by a
> flood of bad poets, only to come back again and
> begin something interesting and then the smothering
> begins again.

Dear Sid, how is there a smothering? This is an email
list, which is not equivalent to a discussion group.
Are you unfamiliar with mailing lists that allow
multiple threads to take place at the same time? Now,
if someone were to intrude upon YOUR thread of
discussion and mark it with 'graffiti', that would
indeed be a smothering. Who is guilty of that here?

> What is the difference between a creative moment and
> a waste of everyones time? What is the difference
> between these idiotic posts and the spam that I have
> to delete to get to them?

On a pluralistic email list of any size one soon
learns not only which discussions but which
participants one cares to read. You say something
later about getting a blog. I would say something now
about getting a web browser so that you can skim the
archives at
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/deleuze-guattari-driftline.org
and decide which posts you wish to peruse. In
addition, get an email system that allows you to do
the same so that you do not have to read posts from
participants you do not care to read. This, or
filters, is the answer to spam. I count 25 I-Love-Lucy
posts and 12 complaints - approaching a poor
signal-to-noise ratio which I am, unfortunately,
increasing with this message..

There is an interesting essay by Harry Frankfurt
entitled "On Bullshit", recently made available at
http://www.jelks.nu/misc/articles/bs.html

I suggest that your rhetoric meets the criteria
because the issue is not spam but identity politics. I
can only conclude that you are really interested in
preserving the political correctness of this list for
academic purposes from what you consider "bad taste".

Unlike you (see
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/deleuze-guattari-driftline.org/2005-February/000203.html
) I reserve the word 'fascist' for advocates of
"severe economic and social regimentation and forcible
suppression of opposition" and use the term
'puritanical' for what I see intruding here: a
"becoming-majoritarian" that, I hope, will not become
"obsessional".

Thanks, Mark (Crosby -- not the same person as Lucy,
for any other identity politicians who may be
wondering ;(