[D-G] Virility and Slaughter

Dr. Harald Wenk hwenk at web.de
Sun Feb 6 00:55:01 PST 2005

Hello,

the main outline of answer is, that after the french revolution and the
uprise of imperialism and nationalism in the 19th century
had taken the place of religion, sometimes mixed with, in binding
the overwhelming "transcendental forces" - the forces going beyond
the everday life purposes. as you alll know, especially gremans tend to
bea liitle bit idealistc and romantic.
This is in conjunctin with the state of affair of
emancipation at that time.
The strong social democratic party representing the little man,
especially the workers, has been forbidden for 25 years
and was constantly blamed to betray ones country.
To avoid this, the majority voted for the war.
On the other hand the miltairs enclosing the soldiers
were totally not used to the mordern
mass murder weapons like machine guns, poison gas
and aeoroplanes.

This is strongest line of answer and due to
some kind of sociological inertia.

They all used the patters from the well known
relativley local wars - as the last from 1870
between germany and france, whose success
inaugurated the formation of germany as a nation.
The last point is also a strong argument,
the germans had made very good experiences
in winning that war and the mood was
that the world was distributed at that time and germany didnt
got his part.

So things are very complicated and if you are really interested
it is worthwhile reading history books - at best from germany, for
they have the most authentic approach.

Best wishes

Dr. Harald Wenk
(german mathematician)