[D-G] maths.

hwenk hwenk at web.de
Wed Dec 7 01:05:58 PST 2005

Hello Liza,

Common Ground

what I meant with common ground is, that I got the impression
that the intention or the hope or the ambition or something like that
which you tied to the time with creating or reading literature or arts is
that you achieve a more intensive live.

I hope it is more automatic or by character or instinct, that you have
the
feeling if you have a more intensive live which has something to
do with a collective or social form like arts.
Naive as I am TI thought the use of arts is because it is the
most free or most deterriolized collective form.

Now the experience is, what Deleuze expressed by his remark to
modern arts with the example of Klee:
"What lacks is people".

Modern arts, as felt as intensifying live has only very few consumers and
producers,
in my eyes mainly because it is very elaborated and in general you have to
be very well educated
and have a lot of free time to be able to enjoy it.

Now mathematics is in my eyes even more elaborated and the people
who produce and consume in order to intensify their lives are also very
few -
the followers and developers or "pure" mathematics - even when its official
classification is applied as probability theory or numerics.

But mathematics is widely used in science - even in humanities and
technology,
  and so there are a lot of people
who do it - most of them with the feeling of being forced, as they don't
like it
spontaneously and do not practice it, expect by profession or combined with
other purposes.

And in a certain way, mathematics is very free, for it is a kind
 of pure thinking,
where no real constrains or command are inert.
This is the background of bringing it
in a line with freedom and deterriolization.

You may not suspect it, but I enjoy music, literature, films
and arts, at most sculptures,  in general very much.
My taste there is more classical biased.

DIMENSION

  <<If you need the topological definition,
<<broadly speaking the border of a
<<set of the power of a continuum is one dimension less than the
<<original set, you can look on a book on topology,
<<for example Whyburn, Analytical Topology.

You  not believe it, but this is mathematical construction.

  What is Philosophy as a chapter on science starting with Cantor theory of
set, have a look at it. it's passionating yet very harsh to try and get it.
what original set. is it the border forming a new set by being defined and
created, did you speak of an original set. i had the same problem reading
guattari's theory on Cantor, very difficult. i managed to get a decipherment
4 myself, but here come again the orginal set, about which noone has talked
b4, can you clarify?

The original set is set where the boundary is taken from.

So if you got a ball of n dimension, say three,
the boundary is a sphere, a surface, of dimension two - one less than three.
Like the surface of the earth - geodesics is, where the whole differential
geometry started.

There are no contradictions in Euclidean Geometry and all propositions are
still true and will be.
I don't know of any mathematician denying that, not even Gödel.
You can transform a lot of Euclid in analytical geometry or the
linear algebra, making a lot of propositions a easy
exercise in computing writing algebraic formulas.

With friendly greetings

Harald Wenk