[D-G] Awakening from the Nightmare of History

NZ pretzelworld at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 21:12:38 PDT 2005

by "Nightmare of History" I dont think Joyce was meaning "Nations
constitute a shared fantasy of immortality." They seem reversed to me.
I think the idea of "Shared ____" is key, however it refers to Joyces
"_____ History" not "Nightmare ____ " because that would be K's idea
of " Fantasy" whether it be "immortality" or whatever else.
Hitchcock was a master of the nightmare ending. So all that
complicated Hollywood psychology really just boils down to 500 B.C.
Heraclitus?

"The dead touch upon the living sleeping, who in turn touch upon the
living waking. (Fr. 26)"
&
"4. Thus, the waking participate in a common light, in a common sight.
The sleeping are not dead; they can hear a little. The dead can
neither see nor hear. The sleeping have a role in what happens.
Private though they are in their withdrawal and their closing, they
still partake in the common, though they do not think they do.
Absolute privacy and isolation is impossible for the living. The
belief in a "private wisdom" is an illusion. Nevertheless, for
Heraclitus, it is better to be awake than to be asleep. Furthermore,
"One should not do things and say things as if one were sleeping."
(Fr. 73) Many people, who do not know what is going on, walk and talk
in their sleep."

(read more at http://www.fred.net/tzaka/logos.html )

No matter what position he takes, Heraclitus really does it for me,
even more than Balzac (yum). Not only does he "know" but he paints it
as a scarey picture, kind of like "They Live Among Us" or "Dawn of the
Dead." Are there are other movies that would make a better comparison?
"American Psycho" was a pretty good movie, with the grueling  music
video style murders set to Huey Lewis. Unlike in the movies, the
notion of a nightmare set to music is not so humourous as in 1969's
"Altmont" where racist securty-gaurds murdered to the tune of "under
my thumb." (but thats not a nightmare either that actually happened)
1993s "Tales From the Crypt" was a new hip-hop take on the old
nightmare-horror comic book. And there was also the movie "Judgement
Night" with its killer grunge-rap cross-over soundtrack. I am thinking
of "Rap and the Esteem Econony" and  Steven Levitt's "Freakonomics"...
I will find them and post them...